Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Middle of the Pacific Ocean, January 14 (my birthday)




We're about one day away from docking at Hilo, Hawaii, and it's been almost a week at sea. The seas are getting a bit warmer as we approach Hawaii, and the air and sea are hovering around an incredibly pleasant 70 degrees F/27C. Jasper and I missed his classwork session this morning since he wasn't feeling good, so he rested a bit until his tummy felt better. So, later in the morning, we felt up to going out on deck and doing some reading. Not a bad way to study:


Jasper's schooling is going well so far. There are about 30 other school-aged children on the ship and two studies coordinators. We do school lessons as a group in the mornings and then do board games and physical activities in the afternoons. Our focus has been on math work including currency conversion, multiplication, and beginning algebra. There's also geography, writing, and world culture (I think we'll have that one covered). Here's a shot of the boys playing on the ball court. Notice the nets, which are effective in keeping the balls from going overboard; ball overboard isn't nearly as critical as man overboard, and according to the captain, it takes about 15 minutes to get the ship turned around. I guess that's due to the nearly 600-foot length of the boat, the heavy mass, and that the ship travels around 20mph and doesn't have brakes.


I'm going to sign off for now. It's my birthday today, so a big shout-out to my family back home. Also, today makes me think that in one month, or thereabouts, the Pantani Ride will be on and I'm going to miss the fun of finding Albemarle and Greene County gravel roads that turn up steeply and climb them...

No comments:

Post a Comment