Sunday, January 6, 2013

Off to Sea

I've been a bit negligent in posting and getting this blog up and running, but so it goes. Tranquilo is the way to approach things here in Mexico and when traveling.

I've been on this floating hunk of steel for about 36 hours. We embarked from San Diego at about 17:00/5pm PST and sailed southward across the Mexican border at a slow crawl to make the trip in about 12 hours. My first time in international waters, so that was a milestone. The seas were a bit rough in that we pitched side-to-side (versus a yaw for a front-to-back rocking, and a fairly bad pun from whence this blog gets its name). I understand that the pitching is usually lessened when the MV Explorer is under more throttle, so perhaps it'll be mostly smooth as we sail.

So, anyway, we left San Diego, where Jasper had an overload of Legos at his Mecca, Legoland:


Also, a big highlight of my initial trip to California was a visit by Iron Mike, aka Professor, aka Mike Walling. You know you've got a buddy when he hops in the car and drives from Seattle to San Diego to meet up with you and hang out for a few days. We saw a couple cool sights in San Diego including this perhaps unrideable root mass  (gulleys of 18 inches between those evil ridges) on the way to the SD Air and Space Museum:


The trip to Ensenada was basically a 12-hour parade lap at a tame pace. My body's reaction to the motion: sleep. I have been sleeping unbelievably soundly without the benefit of doing the usual riding and busywork at home. I did get in a spin on the indoor bike as we were Mexico-bound, and today we're in Ensenada for a few more hours before we head back to San Diego.

Today's adventure was for Jasper and I to give it a go at surfing. I suspected he would be good at it because of sandboarding, snowboarding, and skateboarding, and dang if he didn't pop up and catch his first wave of the lesson. Took me a few tries to get up, and I rode several waves once I got the hang of getting low and using the quads I've built up on the bike but have been neglecting. I did outlast Jasper in the endurance aspect of surfing, since he got a bit chilled in the water with his smaller mass and looser-fitting wetsuit, and my higher mass and tight wetsuit kept me warmer. No pictures of the surfing, you'll just have to take my word for it that this boy from the mountain rode some tasty curls.

When we arrived this morning at daybreak, a much bigger cruise ship docked near us.


I'm guessing that the Carnival ship on the left is at least four times the capacity of the MV Explorer, maybe more. Regardless, the ship has been a blast so far, and we've had fun meeting the crew and fellow travelers.

We'll leave Ensenada in about three hours, which gives me a little time to go get another cerveza.

Ciao for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment