Friday, January 11, 2013

Really Out to Sea

Today we've been got some semi-rough seas and quite a few folks who are not feeling so good with all the rolling. Surprisingly, I haven't been seasick, so I think I'll hold off with the medications unless I need them. It's not easy typing and focusing on things up close, so I don't feel particularly productive onboard, at least yet.

Ellen mentioned in her blog that I got a haircut in Ensenada right before we left. The haircut was well worth it for six bucks. Here's a shot the family along with Jasper's grandfather who's now on the ship with us:

We've got a few famous and semi-famous folks onboard. First of all, Ellen was stoked to have a visit by UVa President Terry Sullivan in the ship's library. Then, there's Archbishop Desmond Tutu. Yes, the Nobel Peace Prize winning South African civil rights figure is on board with us for a good portion of the journey. We also have sons of actor Bill Pullman (Independence Day, tv, etc.) and NBA star David Robinson, who's son is quite tall and also named David Robinson. Ellen and her dad have met the Archbishop, and I'm hoping to be able to meet him soon.

So, about 630 students are now onboard, and things are a little noisier and a lot more crowded. It's been fun to watch folks adjust to finding the way around the ship and to walking as the ship bounces around. Before all of them got on en masse yesterday, Jasper and I made a trip into Ensenada for my haircut and some supplies:


One of the things I like about different countries is checking out the grocery stores. Tony the Tiger and other cereal characters look a bit different and slightly more vibrant here. There were beautiful donuts and pastries in the bigger of the two grocery stores we saw with a hopping bakery.


Classes start tomorrow along with official homeschooling, so wish me luck.

Later,
Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment